Triathlon Training Log – Week 23 (May 2)

I hoped this post would go live yesterday, but the day totally got away from me.

With my first race of the season less than one month away, we’ve reached the point where my non-work life revolves around training.


Except when I’m able to escape the city for the day and visit a friend’s new digs in New Jersey, a.k.a. what I did yesterday.

Logging two workouts per day is normal, and on the weekends, we’re seeing high volume across the disciplines. Although I’m tempted to comment on “dialing in” or “locking in” efforts and paces, Earl shut down that notion on Saturday. While recapping the bike-run brick, Earl used the metaphor of a sponge to describe the process we’re undergoing right now. A sponge has two sides, I need to be porous; I need to absorb the training. We’re in a data collection phase, so I need to let things happen. The sponge also had a rough side, and Earl said we have plenty of time to go hard and force workouts—but that time is not now.

General training notes: the countdown is on—t-minus one month until my first race of the season! It seems like I’ve been training for a while, so it will be nice to do some sportz and see where we stand. This fact has given me a renewed sense of urgency and desire to execute my workouts—and my workouts are also becoming more race-specific too.

Monday – p.m. CompuTrainer ride at (the new) Tailwind Endurance

Due to my commute and work schedule, my bike workouts will take place during the evenings. As a morning person, I’m a little bummed about this change, but we reached the point in the training cycle where I’ve broke away from my long-course buddies; even if we rode together, we’d be doing very different workouts. My post-work smashfest included 15×1-minute efforts at VO2 max, and I felt great.

Tuesday – a.m. run; p.m. swim with Bearcat masters

Rainy run in Central Park with 3×12 minutes at projected race pace (eeeek!) for seven miles total, plus an evening swim with my Bearcat buds. We completed a ladder with a ton of 25s, 50s, and 75s and logged 3,050m total.

Wednesday – a.m run; p.m. CompuTrainer ride at Tailwind Endurance

Easy four-mile shakeout run along the West Side Highway. My legs felt OK coming off two quality workouts the day before, but it took about 20 minutes for them to loosen up. After work, I did a “happy hour” workout of 6×3 minutes at VO2 max at Tailwind. The first three repeats were at natural cadence (right around 93 RPM), and the second three were overgeared (55-60 RPMs). It went well overall, and I felt even better after Earl said he liked what he saw.

Thursday – p.m. run

Easy six miler along the Bridal Path and Reservoir after work

Friday – a.m. strength train

Completed my normal full-body routine and some corework

Saturday – a.m. brick (CompuTrainer ride at Tailwind Endurance and outdoor run); p.m. swim with Bearcat masters

Woohoo for another edition of Sportz Saturday! The fun started with a 70-minute ride at Tailwind Endurance. Because I’ve been doing my weekday rides after work, this was the first time I saw “my people” in a while. This reunion was awesome! The high energy contributed to a great workout that contained three builds from tempo to threshold to VO2 max. Per usual, I felt strong on the bike, but my run workout made me anxious: on Central Park’s West Side rollers, including Harlem Hill, Earl wanted me to crank out 3×10 minutes at my projected Olympic-distance race pace.

Luckily, one of my training buds was running at the same speed—he’s training for Eagleman 70.3 and going after a Kona slot #perspective—and he asked if I wanted to run together. Uh, yes please! Although I’ll race alone, I was really glad to run with another person as I get used to this off-the-bike effort. Beforehand, we established the pace, acknowledged neither one of us were talkers (ha!), and I was also adamant about him taking off if he was feeling good, especially since I struggle to hit my goal race off right off the bike. (It usually takes me about 1.5 miles to settle in.) By sticking together, though, we locked in the opening mile at 7:32. My legs didn’t feel great just yet, but the effort felt right. He started building his effort once we were 15 minutes into the workout, it really helped me mentally to have someone I was running “with” as I logged these intervals. I was able to keep him in my sights for the majority of the run, and during our recovery, he would backtrack and run with me. Aside from a cramp that arose during my third interval, this brick went well, especially considering it was my first time running off the bike at race pace and on a hilly course.

Later that afternoon, I hit the water for a Bearcat masters workout. We did a lot of longer sets—300s and 400s—and I wore my Blueseventy core shorts because I wasn’t sure what to expect from my legs after the brick. A total of 3,700m went in the bag, and it was a great training day!

Sunday – a.m. run

Repeat of last Sunday’s workout: four-mile warm-up, then a loop of the Reservoir and a loop along the Bridal Path in the same amount of time. (For the non-NYC folks, the Reservoir is flat and fast while the Bridal Path has some hills and measures slightly longer.) After Saturday’s brick, it look a while for my legs to loosen up, but during the main set, I ran the two loops within three seconds of each other—so success!

Also, I ran nearly 34 (healthy) miles this week—huzzah!

Do you prefer doing tough workouts solo or with someone?

2 responses to “Triathlon Training Log – Week 23 (May 2)

  1. It sounds like you had a busy but productive week. How’s the new job going?!

  2. I prefer tough workouts by myself, but if the person I was with was OK not talking, I think I’d enjoy the company. I just don’t want to compromise the effort by feeling like I have to chat!

    And jeez, that brick sounds tough, but looks like it went really well!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *